At the recommendation of our Birth Instructor, Claudia and our Midwives, we have had a 1 ounce bag of Red Raspberry Leaf in our refrigerator for a while now.Claudia recommends to her students that at the onset of labor, the mother-to-be should drink about a 1/2 gallon of the tea (over a period of time) to help the uterus prepare for delivery.
Even though labor and delivery could still be days away for us, I decided to go ahead and prepare our tea tonight; and it was a real production in the kitchen! I had at least 4 pots steeping the tea for 30 minutes, then had to strain it, and put it in containers with lemon and sugar (supposedly Red Raspberry Tea is very bitter, so adding sugar is suggested). I did try a little sip, but I like my tea cold and the water was still warm after steeping; however, it seemed to taste pretty good with the sugar and lemon added. I am looking forward to drinking it when it is (finally) time. :)
If you are interested in more information on Red Raspberry Leaf Tea you can simply do a Google search; But I have also included some info about the herb and the use of it below...(from wikipedia.com - Not my favorite web site and I am sure my Research Librarian brother-in-law, Keith, would be disappointed in my (lack of) research...but it gets the point across):
"The Red raspberry leaf contains many essential minerals such as phosphorus, potassium, and an easily assimilated form of calcium. An increased availability of calcium is necessary in controlling nerve response to pain during childbirth and in aiding bone development in the fetus. It also contains fragrine, an alkaloid which help tone the muscles of the pelvic region including the uterus. This allows the uterus to contract more powerfully and effectively during labor. Also, many midwives report that it aids in focusing the pre-labor contractions that help a woman’s uterus to prepare for delivery. The high vitamin and mineral content help replace those lost via blood loss during delivery. Also, the alkaloids will continue toning the uterus as it returns to its usual size. In some women, the high mineral content may even help their milk to come in."
Here are some pictures of the Red Raspberry Tea Production. Unfortunately, I didn't grab the camera until after the steeping process, but here I am in the middle of straining and preparing (and Mannix supervising, in true Mannix Style)...

No comments:
Post a Comment