Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Big Girl Bed

Guess who started sleeping in a big bed last Friday night!?! She was so excited she just climbed right in. Sierra was so excited to have a room mate too. I find it so interesting that she has been sleeping with no crying out in the middle of the night and no waking up at all now that Chyler is in her room. That first night I told them that if it didn't work out and they were not obeying, then Chyler would have to go back to her crib. Sierra cried and said, "No Mama! I am scared of the dark. I need Chyler here with me." So odd that she hasn't needed Chyler for the past 4 years. But for some reason, having Chyler in the room with her has really seemed to help her night terrors and crying out in the middle of the night. Strange! I am the same way though, I would much rather sleep with someone in the room with me, or even just in the same house, than be alone; maybe that is because I shared a room with my sister for most of my childhood as well.

It seems they are very happy in there with each other and although I know that the video monitor is a luxury, I can't imagine not having it. I just love to watch them play and interact and talk with one another. Several times when Chyler has seemingly "lost" her blankie, Sierra "finds" it and gives it back to her while tucking her in, kissing her head, and saying "Goodnight." It is really cute to watch their relationship grow on this new level. :)

The first night I went into their room about 4 times. I actually let them giggle/talk/play for a little while because I knew this was a new and fun experience for them and I didn't want to crush them. But then the 2nd night I was concerned that maybe I had been too lenient because I had to go in their room about 7 times that night. But by night #3, it was silence! :) Instead they have saved the fun and games for the morning hours. :) 

It really hasn't been that bad though. Chyler did use to sleep in until about 9am or 9:30am, she is still requiring more sleep than Sierra; however, now Sierra wakes up every day about 8:15am and she promptly goes down to Chyler's bed and says "Good Morning, Chyler!" Poor Chyler is usually stunned, but wakes quickly and immediately wants to play with her big sister. I am finding this to not be that big of a deal because Chyler still takes a good long nap in the afternoon (also in her new big bed) and now she is just needing to go down a little bit earlier than before. 

All and all, the transition has not been that bad. Chyler has been testing her boundaries when it comes to getting out of bed, but I think that is because she watches Sierra. Sierra is almost 4 and has a bit more freedom around here with things; but when Sierra was Chyler's age, she did not have anyone to "watch" and learn from; therefore, Chyler pushes the rules a little bit. I am sure this is to be expected with #2. She certainly wants to do everything she sees her big sister doing!

I am excited that they are now sharing a room and both in big beds. :) We value sleep around here and have been known to go to great lengths to make sure that everyone gets a good night's rest (like Ariella sleeping in a closet for the past 4.5 months, just so she and I have our own spaces). :) But big beds and sharing a room will make things easier for traveling, sleep-overs, beach trips, etc. So now we only have one in a crib...hope to be able to say that about diapers soon too, but that is a whole other subject!!! :)

There she is, jumping into her new big girl bed!

Getting ready to be all tucked in

Hugs for daddy as they prepare to "share a room" !!!!!
 
And now that Chyler is in her big bed...this is where Ariella gets to sleep....





I am completely convinced that she let out a big "ahhhhhhh" sigh when I laid her down in there on the first night! I know she is much happier in a big crib, rather than a pack 'n play and in her very own room. :) I do have to admit though, I never thought I would say this because we are not co-sleepers or really even believe in "rooming-in" at home, if it can be avoided. However, that first night, I did miss her in the closet right nearby and found myself more worried about her than I ever was before. Crazy to think that Sierra was in her crib in her own room right home from the hospital (about 5 days old) and Chyler was in her own room by 5 weeks old. Ariella almost spent 5 months in our room. I guess being mama to multiple children makes you more and more sappy. :)

1 comment:

Mike said...

Good luck! I hope it continues to go well for Sierra and Chyler. And I know Ariella is happy to have her own room :)

Love ya'll

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker
Related Posts with Thumbnails
ALL CONTENT © karen miller, 2007-2017